Welcome to the Checkmat Training Program Page
If you are here, it means you are training at Checkmat Charlotte or are interested in what we do. We will use this site to post workouts and various other items and notifications that are required/requested for our athletes. Training here is not like any other regular “gym”, so the results you will get are not “regular” either. We focus on stability, strength, power, speed, and competition prep for combat sports; although you do not need to be a combat athlete, you may start looking like one due to the training.
Train for Function, Form Will Come
This simply means that you will start to look the part if you train like a warrior. A simple analogy of this is to look at 2 runners;
Both athletes run, but their event dictates their training. Sprinters usually tend to have more muscle mass than the marathon runner; whereas the marathon runner is leaner with less muscle than the sprinter. They may have body fat %s that are similar, but point being if you want to look like a sprinter, train like one and vice versa. Simple principle that may have an exclusion at one point or another, but always remember:
Methods are many, Principles are few
Here are a few things we request all athletes to have to make sure we offer the best programming possible. If you have questions, please email us at paincavefitness at gmail dot com (spelled out to reduce spam).
- Polar Heart Rate Monitor (we use this with a specific HRV app, which monitors Heart Rate Variability)
- Training Mask: www.trainingmask.com- I like version 2.o. I have used all versions of the mask, but i feel that 2.0 gives the best resistance.
- Elite HRV: https://elitehrv.com/app?_branch_match_id=533316101214027110
- Create Profile online or through the App (Google and iTunes: https://elitehrv.com/)
1. Food Log: For starters, track your intake of anything consumable for 2 weeks. This gives us an idea of what your diet is. Remember, diet is a noun, not a verb. We also ask all current athletes to continue to track food and drink during camp or event training. This helps us keep you on track for weigh-ins for competitions
2. Workout Journal: Track everything you do by exercise, set, rep, time and HR. STRONG is a great app for doing this as you can pick exercises in their database, create your own and combine exercises into sessions.
3. Shoes: We train in barefeet most of the time inside, however please bring running or athletic shoes.
4. Hydration: Make sure you bring water or an electrolyte mixture. We also have a proshop at the academy. If you have specific requests or want/need additional supplements, let us know.
TBD (Chalk, Braces, socks, water etc)
- Current Students Preparing for Camp- Included in Dues
Current Students regular fitness classes:
1 Class- $15
5 Classes- $60
Monthly Pass- $120
- Non Students
1 Class (drop in)- $25
5 Classes- $60
Monthly Pass- $150
Non students that train with Pain Cave Fitness are eligible for a free week and discounted Checkmat Charlotte Rates if you decide to join the BJJ program (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) and No Gi programs. Contact Professor Michael Allen at Checkmat Charlotte for more info.
Children’s Training Program is also available upon request and after assessment. Must be accompanied by a family member during session and signed up by one of their legal guardians.
- Family Discounts available.
We will have these set up to pay online via our store or in person.
Sundays: After Open Mat (2pm-3pm)
Privates are available upon request
If you are traveling or come from another academy- or have other inquiries, please contact us at paincavefitness at gmail dot com (spelled out to reduce spam).
More to come, we look forward to working with you. See you on the mats!